Answers to frequently asked questions

The FAQs have been split into 3 categories:


The Academic Evaluation Centers (Akademische Pruefstelle - APS) are located at the externer LinkGerman Embassy in Beijing, P.R. of China , externer LinkGerman Embassy in Hanoi, Vietnam, externer LinkGerman Embassy in Ulan Bator, Mongolia and German Embassy in New Delhi, India.
The APS issues a certificate which is a compulsory condition for admittance to any Master Program of the University of Stuttgart, including the INFOTECH Master Program. This rule applies for all applicants with a Bachelor degree from a chinese, vietnamese, mongolian or indian University.

Until further notice: Due to the backlog at the APS India, applicants from India have until the enrollment deadline to submit their APS certificate.

Attesting is the act of certifying that a copy is a 'true' copy of the original. Attesting or attestation is typically done by putting a stamp with words like 'this is a true copy of the original' on the copy, a second stamp identifying the organization or person standing for the statement and has the hand-written signature of the attesting person.
Not every 'private' person can be accepted for attestation. Persons, which by virtue of their business or position qualify for attestation, are lawyers, notary public, embassies and consulates as well as state authorities. We accept further the registrars of universities, deans of faculties and directors of public schools.


INFOTECH is a Master program which builds on fundamental knowledge of subjects like Electrical Engineering, Computer Science and Higher Mathematics. These fundamentals are typically taught in Bachelor programs from a related field. Master programs focus on advancing the basics learned during bachelor studies. Students with a Master in a qualifying field, but with a Bachelor in a non-qualifying field, usually do not have the fundamentals knowledge required for the program. That's why a Master degree does not compensate a Bachelor degree in a qualifying field.
As a consequence, only documents relating to your Bachelor degree should be submitted with the application. Documents pertaining to a completed master degree can not be accepted or taken into consideration.

In almost all systems, the awarding of a Bachelor degree is bound to a number of conditions defined by the study regulation. These conditions are typically a number of examinations to be passed, credit points to be earned and project work. Now we call the collection of all these events as required by the study regulation and the resulting marking or grade the "Bachelor Degree Examination". The Bachelor Degree Examination is therefore characterized by three distinctive elements:

  • The 'Passing' statement ("Mr./Ms. xyz has passed the Bachelor of ... Examination ...")
  • the Examination result ("..in second class (upper).. with GPA ..")
  • the Examination date (".. on January 10, 2004")

The importance is with the statement given by the University, not the document as such, i.e. the statement may be given on different kind of document or combined with the Bachelor Degree Certificate (BDC).

It is requested by law, that the university administration make sure that the applicant possesses a first level academic degree (the Bachelor Degree) at the time of enrollment. If the final document is not available at the time of application, a conditional admission is possible:

  • The Bachelor Degree has to be presented by the 30th of November of the first master semester. (Admission in wintersemester)

Providing proof that someone is a student in the eg. 6th of 6 semesters (regular lenght of study) is not adequate. It does not certify that the student will finish within the regular length of study.

It should be noted however, that for the Visa application, German embassies may request these documents even if the university has granted conditional admission.


Conditional acceptance can only be offered in the case that the applicants bachelor degree certificate is not available at the time of application.  Successful applicants who have been granted a conditional acceptance for this reason have then till November 30th of the semester in which they were admitted to submit the missing documents.

Other than this one exception, documents not submitted before the application deadline cannot be submitted at a later date.  This also applies to updated transcripts with new test results.  We can only assess the document that was submitted during the application period.

As an exception to the rule, that only 4-years Bachelor degrees are accepted: Bachelor degrees from German Universities as well as Diploma-Degrees like Dipl.-Ing (BH/FH) with a regular study time of 3-years are accepted.

Admission letter are available online via C@mpus. The admission letters are electronic and valid without signature and seal of the University.

Proof of English Proficiency is a prerequisite for admission. Currently we accept

  • TOEFL computer based with 213 points or better,
  • TOEFL paper-based with 550 points or better,
  • TOEFL Internet based with 80 points or better, ETS
  • IELTS with band 6.5 or better, Cambridge English
  • CAE/CPE Certificate in Advanced English/Certificate of Proficiency in English Cambridge English
  • 'MoI' (Means of Instruction) i.e. a statement by the undergraduate university that the bachelor was entirely taught in English

The nationality of a country, whose official language is English is NOT proof of sufficient English proficiency.
TOEFL institutional test results cannot be accepted.


A letter of motivation is not a requirement for applying to the program.

For all documents that we ask you to fill out (Application in C@mpus, Adjunct) please always write your name using the same format you used in C@mpus.  Changing the order, adding middle names or shortening a name can cause problems when trying to assess your application documents and when you go to apply for a VISA.

There are several systems used for allocating marks to exam performance.

In almost all systems, single individual examinations receive a grade (also called marks or marking). A listing of all attained grades is often referred to as a marks sheet or transcript. The "weight" of an individual grade is often expressed by associated Credit Points.

The overall average grade is the (weighted) average of the individual examination grades, which counts for the Bachelor degree, i.e. the "Bachelor Examination" as a result of the averaged individual results, receives the Overall Average (Grade).

Now if this is a weighted grade (i.e. CreditPoint*Grade divided by sum of CreditPoints) in many systems it is called Grade Point Average (GPA) or Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA).

The numerical systems used differ mainly in the highest grade obtainable; examples of scales are 100%, 20, 5.0, 4.0.

When applying for the INFOTECH program only use the value given on your transcript/certificate. Don't worry about average or weighted average. If you have to calculate the value by yourself use the weighted principle for the average whenever possible. If Credit Points are given, the weighted principle should apply.

It is obvious, that non-numerical grades like 'passed' cannot contribute to the average. If your transcripts only provide a non-numerical grade we will need some other form of official documentation from your university providing conversion information.

Each grading/marking system has a best/maximal or end of scale value (e.g. 4.0, 100, 20...). This is the value to determine the grading scale ([GPA Scale]. The highest possible value refers to the scale and not to the best values achieved by someone in class. [GPA Pass Level] refers to the lowest value on the scale to successfully pass the Bachelor examination and being awarded the Bachelor degree.

Admission to INFOTECH is

  • Competitive
  • non-discriminating and fair
  • governed by the academic admission commission

As we have more applications as seats, we have to be selective. Selection is based on a number of criteria. On applications that are submitted within the application period (November 15th - February 15th) can be taken into consideration. In view of fair and equal treatment of all applications, the reason for not meeting the deadline has no importance.



All documents have to be either in English or German language. Documents in a different language (typically national language) have to be provided as copy of the original and translation to English language.

Translations have to be attested by 'official translators'. Official translators are typically those, which are either

  • registered by the embassies/consulates
  • sworn-in at courts
  • accredited by the ministries

For a list of sworn translators you may refer to your local authorities or representatives of your country such as embassies.

Attested copies of documents in English language, issued by the same organizations as the original documents in national language, are accepted as well.

Basically, the University of Stuttgart is a state university of the state of Baden-Wuerttemberg. She has the right to issue final Master documents on their own, stamped with the great code of arms of the state of Baden-Wuerttemberg. It means, there is no further action necessary to use it anywhere and for any purposes. Now, if necessary several means can be taken:

  • Verification: We understand verification as the act of certifying that a presented document is genuine, not altered and not tampered with. Our transcripts have a verification code in the footline for online verification requests.
  • Attestation: Attestation is used to certify that a copy is a true copy of the document in question. Attestation can be done by many institutions (e.g. notary publics, courts, embassies) and of course the University of Stuttgart itself (INFOTECH Office). As a special service, esp. for the USA, INFOTECH Office offers also the service of sending the attested copy in sealed envelope to the recipient.
  • Certification: Some countries/institutions require a certification. Certification is a kind of act of not only stating that the document is genuine, but also that it is issued legally. Two methods are in use. If the embassy of a country needs to certify a German public legal document it bases its statement on a statement of the [de] Bundesverwaltungsamt in Cologne. The Bundesverwaltungsamt bases its statement on a statement of the Ministry of Education in the federal state the university is in. In the INFOTECH case thats the [de] Ministerium für Wissenschaft, Forschung und Kunst Baden-Wuerttemberg - further short «Ministry». So the path is: 1) ask the Ministry, 2)ask the Bundesverwaltungsamt, 3) ask your embassy. The second method, esp. required in parts of eastern Europe, Middle East and Latin America is the Apostille according to the convention of The Hague, 1961. The Ministry will do that.

These informations should only serve as starting point. They are, by no means, comprehensive.

Admission and Enrollment

Beginning WS 23/24 the enrollment process can be completed online in C@mpus.

More information about the enrollment process can be found here.

The INFOTECH office is not involved in the admission process, so any questions should be adressed to the department of application, admission and enrollment (BZE).

A list of the costs associated with studying in Stuttgart can be found here: Cost of Living

Have in mind, that the amounts given allows a moderate standard of living. There are some opportunities for student jobs. However, in planning your study here, don't rely on a student job for financing.

During the VISA process, both the local embassy and the Foreign Office in Stuttgart usually require proof that you have the financial means to support yourself during your studies in Germany.  They will most not likely accept the claim that you will work to support yourself.

The German student affairs association (Deutsches Studentenwerk) offers aa good overview of information relevant to your studies in Germany and some tips on how to finance your studies.  

Admission awarded by for the INFOTECH program is always for a specific semester (e.g. WS 2017/18). Admission is only vaild for the semester granted and cannot be moved to a later semester. 


Once you have been accepted to the program you should begin looking for accommodations in Stuttgart.

You can apply for housing in one of the student dormitories of Studierendenwerk Stuttgart here. If you plan on doing so - apply as soon as possible! (The waiting time for a room is ca. 6 months) Please follow the instructions on how to fill in the application form as outlined in our manual. Please note that there is no guarantee to get a room. INFOTECH has no influence on the assignment of rooms. Rooms are allocated on a first come first serve basis.

Here are some useful links:
The Studierendenwerk provides a good overview of options for finding accommodations:

Overview of options:

The Official Welcome Guide from the international office also has some useful information:

Group for one of the residences where some openings (even short-term) might be listed:
Allmandring group: https://allmandring1.de
Popular sites for searching in the private market:
WG-Gesucht: WG-Gesucht.de
Housing Anywhere: HousingAnywhere
*Please be aware of scammers in the private market.  A common sign of a scammer is someone wanting your to sign a contract and/or send a deposit. They are unable to meet as they are out of the country.  To assure your of their identity they often send a scan of their ID. Don't do it!


The INFOTECH office is not involved with the processing of fees. 
If you have any question please contact: Point of Contact: Tuition and Semester Fees

During and After Your Studies

Changes in specialization / major are only possible before registering for your first core module exam.
See §5(3) of the Study and Examination Regulations.

INFOTECH follows the ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) for assigning credits.
The minimum total of 120 ECTS credits need to be achieved through a combination of regular Courses, Lab, Seminars and a Master Thesis in order to be awarded the degree.

This is in-line with government regulations, which allow a maximal "burden" of 30 credits/term.

As soon as you have received the finishing statement of your Master degree, you can/should de-register (exmatrikulate) as a student from the university. The finishing date is printed on each and every document you receive along the finishing document set. This page provides more detailed information.

Note:  If your final examination/thesis is already registered you do not need to stay enrolled in order to receive your final grade. This also applies to retake exams. Enrollment is only mandatory to register for examinations.
If you do not re-register for the next semester you will be automatically deregistered. Your student status will end with the last semester in which you were enrolled.

Student status:
Once your student status ends (once your deregister) you will lose the right to use some other university facilities, such as student dormitories, university library and the PC pools. Your access to C@mpus and the documents listed there will expire after 8 months.  So be sure to save all important documents.
Please be aware that not having an active student status can have an effect on your health insurance and your residence permit.  Any questions regarding what effect it may have should be directed towards your health insurance provider and the Foreign Office, respectively.



An explanation of these abbreviations can be found here: Coursework and Graded Assessments

They are also discussed in § 10 of the Study and Examination Regulations.

Deregistration from an exam is only possible until one week (7 days) before the exam date.

If you miss this deadline, or are sick the day of the exam you can request an exception from the head of the examination commission.  Reasoning for missing the deadline/ doctor's note should be submitted along with required forms.
More information can be found here.

Failed core modules cannot be replaced or dropped, you must retake them. Failure to do so can result in losing the right to admission to further exams.
The retake must be taken within 2 semesters, and you are entitled a retake attempt within 6 months of the failed attempt.  See §19 of the Study and Examination Regulations.

Up to two failed supplementary modules can be replaced during your degree. See §5(6) of the Study and Examination Regulations. The failed module that has been replaced cannot be reattempted at a later date and the failed attempt will appear in your transcript, but is not counted towards your average.

The INFOTECH program does not have its own Graduation Ceremony.
Instead, students attend the graduation ceremony for the department they wrote their thesis with: Computer Science or Electrical Engineering.

For example, a student that graduated having written their thesis with the department of Computer Science will attend the Computer Science Graduation Ceremony.
Please note:  Students can only attend the ceremony covering the period in which they graduated. 

Computer Science
Graduation ceremony for graduates who finished their studies in the previous year between January 1st - December 31st.
More information and registration for the Computer Science Ceremony can be found here.

Electrical Engineering
Graduation ceremony for graduates who finished their studies in the previous year between April 1st  - March 31st.
More information and registration for the Electrical Engineering Ceremony can be found here.


Only supplementary modules (for up to 2 modules) can be replaced if they have not yet been passed - see 'Failed Modules' above.

Once a module has been passed it cannot be replaced with another module, moved or retaken. See §18(1) of the Study and Examination Regulations.

Modules are logged chronlogically.  Therefore, the first module registered and passed under a node, eg. Specialization Core Module - CHSE - Core Module Computer Science, will remain as that. 
Extra modules taken beyond what is needed to fulfill the degree requirements will then be considered 'add-ons' if they are a part of the INFOTECH curriculum.  Upon request (at the examination office) you can have these 'add-ons' listed on your transcript but they are not counted towards your degree or final grade.

The University of Stuttgart is not in a position to award scholarships to students of Master programs.
We have gathered some information about financing your studies here.

  1. Scholarships offered by the DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) . This must be done approx. one year prior to the start of the studies in Germany through the German embassy in the home country.
  2. Deutschlandstipendium
  3. For a list of other national and international funding agencies please also check:
  4. Student Assistant Job, Teaching Assistant for a maximum of 20 hours a week at one of the institutes of the University Stuttgart (check limitation in permit/visa).
  5. Job outside of the university for a maximum of 120 days per calendar year (check limitations in permit/visa).
    For cases 3 and 4 holds: There is absolutely no guarantee to get such a job. Chances increase with working knowledge of the German language. These jobs usually come up at short notice and they can only be found once in Stuttgart. It is strongly recommended to not count on this source as the only financing your studies in Germany. Check the embassies' homepages. Scholarship holders with public funded scholarships are exempted.

Your best option is to look for labs that are related to lectures that you have attended so that you have the theoretical knowledge to complement the excercises in the lab.

Begin looking early!  Spots are often limited and fill up fast.  Inform yourself in advance about possible labs that you would be interested in taking (see first sentence above).

For both availability and registration check the lists on the pinboards of the institutes, online-registering systems etc.

Labs and seminars offered by the Department of CS:
Registration takes place online one semester in advance. The offer varies from year to year and is announced in a separate email.

Labs and seminars offered by the Department of EEIT:
See the institutes' webpages and pinboards before the new semester starts

You have to register and receive a seat for labs and seminars to take part! Please avoid doing more than one lab course during your studies, also not voluntarily since seats are limited! 

Labs and seminars have to be registered twice: for the seat with the institute offering it within the deadline AND on c@mpus during the regular exam registration period to receive the grade.

INFOTECH is an admission-restricted program, i.e. no one can be admitted without being selected in competition by the admission commission. This procedure applies also to students who whish to change their study program or the university, called "Studiengangswechsler". Therefore, the first step is always to apply for admission. If selected for admission, the student can ask for a transfer of credits. Typically first semester courses cannot be substituted by transfer from external institutions.

Transfer of Credits (Recognition of Exam Performances)

 Transfer of credits is regulated by §19 Study and Exam Regulations, implementing the requirements of State University Law §36a pursuant to EU Lissabon Convention.

  1. Student has to request recognition via the Examination Commission: pa@infotech.uni-stuttgart.de
  2. Prerequisite: Enrolment in Stuttgart
  3. A maximum of 50% of the credits of the Master of Science examination (60 CP) can be transferred.
  4. Master Thesis Project cannot be transferred.
  5. Finally: The course to be transferred needs to be essentially equivalent (in terms of contents, learning outcome and scope) to the module (course) of the INFOTECH Master program to be substituted.

Is there a module that isn't included in the INFOTECH curriculum that you think should be?  Let us know!
Any proposals or requests to the Examination Commission should be sent to: pa@infotech.uni-stuttgart.de

To the top of the page